Sunday, May 26, 2013

Deuces, Spring!

2013, thus far, has been SO exciting. I've experienced so many new things it's not even funny. I caught the Norovirus, I went to New York City, I went to prom, and I graduated...just to name a few. (Not to mention I'm typing this on my brand new laptop--my first big "adult" purchase, might I add. :)

Here are just a few of the pictures that have been taken throughout all these exciting things...


Ok, this wasn't the beginning of the year, but this was in February. This is one of my best friends, Sydney, and I. We were staying in a cabin in Gatlinburg, TN for the weekend to go to Challenge Youth Conference. It was a really exciting time, and Gatlinburg was beautiful, of course...it always is.


The Service Road Trip, which the youth group goes on every spring break, was incredible of course. It started out with almost half of the group getting sick, so that sucked. But it at least semi redeemed itself. We worked in Tinton, NJ on Sandy Relief. We worked at lots where houses had been torn down. We went through all the dirt looking for trash or other various things. We found some stuff that made us really sad, like baby clothes, and even a teddy bear. It was heartbreaking to see all the devastation, but it was nice to know that we really made a difference.






WE WENT TO NEW YORK CITY!!! I'm not gonna lie, NYC was awesome. I'd LOVE to live there some day. In fact, my friend Angel Ann and I decided that we're gonna move there and run the world some day, because someone once told us that if we'd tag team we'd rule the whole world...which, thinking about it is probably pretty true--ha. Anyway. New York City is gross and disgusting, and there are tons of people, but it somehow works for them. I wouldn't change it at all. (The bottom picture is from our night time bus tour...and I may or may not be tearing up because it was so freaking beautiful...)


The senior banquet. The senior banquet is something that I'd always been part of the waitstaff at. It was something that I'd always known I was gonna be a part of some day, but I'd never thought about it actually happening. It was a really beautiful night. We had dinner that was made by this excellent caterer, and was served by the younger youth group members (which was really weird, by the way). Then, it was time for the parents to give their speeches. This is always a really emotional part of the senior banquet, and I always cry for everyone. My mom's speech was definitely no exception. She gave a beautiful speech and talked about the different things that I'd taught her throughout the last 18 years. Then, we got gifts, which is always awesome. It was one of those nights that you could talk forever about and still not run out of good things to say. I feel so blessed to have my church family by my side through thick and thin, and I'm really grateful to them for putting the whole thing together.


Prom was...an experience. Getting dressed up, doing my hair, and putting on make up is not really something that I'm totally comfortable with, but I did it because I figured if not for prom, when? But prom ended up being a not so great experience. For a lot of reasons that I won't go into, but a lot of things just kept going wrong, and, if I'm being totally honest, that whole day was kind of a bust. Regardless, I look freaking awesome, so I had to put a picture in here. ;)






Y'all...I GRADUATED HIGH SCHOOL. It still doesn't feel real, yet. But it just happened last night...I'm sure it will sink it eventually. But, graduation, all in all, was a really good experience. Some of my closest family and friends all came over to my house for a little while before the actual ceremony, because it was so late in the evening. Then, the actual graduation part happened. Which was pretty boring, as graduations usually are. But, the most surreal thing happened...when they asked us to move our tassels and turn our stoles, I had kind of an out-of-body experience. I just remember thinking "I can't believe this is happening. This can't be real." and then I threw my cap and hugged my friend Alex, who was sitting next to me, and went to find my family, and Ryan and Melinda, of course. We took some pictures...the one on the bottom is my favorite picture of Elsie and I to date...which pretty much makes it my favorite picture. I love that little girl, and I love my mom, and I love Ryan and Melinda, and all the rest of my family. I just love that everyone was there to support me. I still don't feel like it's real. But I'm sure it'll sink in eventually.

Peace out spring, it's really been nice knowing ya. Here's to an excellent summer. I just hope it lasts long enough for me to enjoy it, before I have to bid farewell to old Kentucky. I really love my life right now, in case it wasn't obvious. So, I'll close out with a quote that I really love from "Blessings for Graduates", a book someone gave me yesterday...

"It seems to me we can never give up longing and wishing while we are thoroughly alive. There are certain things we feel to be beautiful and good, and we must hunger after them." -George Eliot